Thu. Feb 22nd, 2024
What you should know about Commercial Electrical Testing for Business

If you are a property owner or manager, you understand the burden of ensuring that all of your tenants are safe on your property. Sure, there are some things over which you have no control; yet, it is pretty reasonable for you to take the necessary precautions to keep everyone safe for the things over which you do have control.

You are responsible for ensuring that you and your employees comply with Health and Safety legislation. However, the conditions of your lease usually determine whether you or your landlord will pay for the testing of the electrical installation. Typically, if you have a whole repairing lease, you will be responsible for paying the expense.

It is strongly advised while undergoing an electrical test and obtaining an electrical certificate for your commercial property.

All of their electrical engineers undergo comprehensive training and hold registrations with NICEIC, ELECSA, and NAPIT. Furthermore, they are well aware of all criteria and strictly follow the rules to deliver a superb quality of work.

Landlord Certificates employs only the most up-to-date testing equipment and ensures its proper calibration to guarantee the correctness of all results. As a result, they can make appropriate recommendations based on the electrical state of your property.

After their engineers have completed all electrical testing, they will give an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR), which will include their observations of any electrical damage, degradation, faults, or potentially hazardous conditions. This report will also contain their recommendations; if you receive an unsatisfactory grade, you should arrange for remedial work as soon as possible.

For these reasons, obtaining your electrical certificate from Landlord Certificate is an excellent approach to ensure the safety of your tenants, as they provide the complete electrical service. They will provide you with an end-to-end electrical analysis. They take good care of you because they have only your best interests in mind.

Why do you require a commercial inspection report?

Businesses in the United Kingdom are required by law to follow specific norms and standards for electricity in the workplace. The Landlords and Tenants Act of 1985 established several of these restrictions to safeguard tenants of rental buildings. The building owner is often responsible for ensuring that the unit complies with all UK rules.

A commercial electrical certificate certifies compliance with these rules, which are in place to safeguard the safety of tenants and employees in a facility. Once you’ve obtained your certificate, you’ll need to renew it every few years.

You can use periodic inspections to renew your certificate. An electrician who holds NICEIC, ELECSA, and NAPIT registrations will carry out these inspections (click here to check our credentials).

Any flaws with your electrical system that need to be rectified will be detailed in an inspector’s report, such as:

  • Electrical system damage
  • Defects and degradation in your electrical equipment
  • Dangerous circumstances or malfunctioning equipment
  • Outdated features that are no longer comply with safety rules

Failure to obtain the required certification might lead to someone filing a lawsuit against the building owner. For example, if a malfunctioning electrical system causes harm to a tenant or employee and the building owner cannot provide proof of certification, the affected party is likely to file a lawsuit for damages.

As a result, not only does the law require certifications, but they also represent a wise business move. The cost of acquiring a business electrical certificate and upgrading your electrical system is a fraction of the cost of potential damages for which owners are responsible.

How frequently do I require an electrical condition report?

Although there is no law requiring these reports to be completed regularly, there are guidelines, and it is generally up to the competent person to decide when they should be completed. The recommendations for when they should be completed are provided below.

  • Domestic Installations – Ten years or change of occupancy (Whichever is soonest)
  • Residential Accommodation – Occupancy Change or 5 Years (whichever is soonest)
  • Commercial Installations – Change of occupancy or five years (whichever is soonest)
  • Three years of experience in industrial installations
  • Five years of experience in offices, shops, and laboratories

How can I get an electrical business license?

If you want to get a commercial electrical certificate for your firm, you should first contact a certification company.

Your electrician will most likely want confirmation of any electrical repairs performed in the previous year. Throughout this exam, you may need to provide other items, including:

  • Calibration certificates
  • Insurance certificates
  • Commissioning documents
  • Risk evaluations
  • Complaint logs

If an electrician informs you that you require extensive electrical work, it may be in your best interest to acquire a second price. This could be especially valuable if you undertake frequent inspections and have never had a problem. You should also engage with electricians who can supply licenses and registration.

Finally, once you have completed the work, ensure that you document and provide proof of the work you’ve done. In the future, this will help to streamline the inspection procedure. In addition, request that your inspector submit test findings and a timetable for future inspections.

If you are a building tenant concerned about the electric system, you must first contact your landlord. Tenants cannot obtain commercial electrical testing in London for an entire building. law requires the property owner to furnish you with certification confirmation.

For help or advice about commercial electrical testing, speak to our friendly electrician team in Electric Works London.