Entering the 4.0 technology era, the fashion industry has made extremely strong changes. Among them, it is impossible not to mention high-end t-shirt printing technology that brings beautiful, natural and lifelike images. In this article, T-shirt printing Dallas Shop Leather will help you learn more about the 6 most popular t-shirt printing technologies today along with the advantages and disadvantages of each technique. Let’s read together!
What is shirt printing?
To be able to create t-shirts, T-shirts or any other fashion item that looks different and more “colorful”, printing technology was born.
Lets put it simply, shirt printing is when you put an image, logo, pattern or any design, etc. on the shirt. With the development of printing technology, images displayed are increasingly sharper, more realistic, and more vivid.
Summary of the 6 best t-shirt printing technologies today
Printing technology today has many new and modern methods. Among them, 6 latest t-shirt printing technologies: heat transfer printing, silk screen printing, Decal printing, Digital printing and combined t-shirt printing.
T-shirt printing Dallas Shop has elaborated in detail about t-shirt printing technologies in the information below.
Heat transfer printing technology
This is a popular printing method currently on the market, also known as heat transfer PET printing technology. Not only applied to fabric, this T-shirt heat printing technology can be applied to many other materials such as: cups, cups, phone cases,…
The operating principle of heat transfer printing technology depends on the effect of temperature. Under the influence of heat, the ink evaporates onto the material to be printed. When the ink dries, it will create a high-sharp print, according to the pre-designed design.
1.1- Procedure for implementing heat transfer printing technology
Step 1: Print the template/design on specialized paper.
Step 2: Use a heat press machine to print images from transfer paper onto the shirt.
1.2 – Advantages
- Suitable for all materials and printing materials
- Realistic colors and images, can be printed full-body or 3D printed
- Good price, flexible application
- The color is standard and beautiful, with little blurring
1.3 – Disadvantages
- Only for best quality on light-toned fabrics
- Prints will break if stretched or machine washed frequently
- Can only print according to the original design file, do not manually adjust color effects
- Small to medium volume printing scale
T-shirt silkscreen printing technology
This is also one of the best printing techniques today. Silk printing is a common name often called by workers because the printing mold is made of silk material. Later, this silk screen was replaced with versions such as cotton fabric, chemical fiber fabric, metal mesh, and the name screen printing began to become more common.
2.1- Procedure for silkscreen printing of t-shirts
Step 1: Prepare a grid for each printed color
Step 2: Pour ink onto the prepared printing screen
Step 3: Use a rubber/brush to remove the ink from the mesh, the ink passes through the mesh to create a print on the shirt.
Step 4: Repeat the operation with each printed color
Step 5: Use a specialized dryer or heat press to dry the ink
2.2 – Advantages
- Good printing effect, fast speed
- The printing is sharp, realistic and highly durable
- Printing costs are good when printing in large quantities
2.3 – Disadvantages
- Waiting time for ink to dry is long
- Printed colors are limited, some complex tones cannot be mixed with standard colors
Digital Printing Technology
It can be said that this is the most modern printing technique to date. The birth of digital T-shirt printing technology creates a new breakthrough for the printing industry in general and the t-shirt printing industry in particular.
Digital transfer printing technique has overcome many weaknesses compared to other methods. by applying 100% by digital printer.
3.1- Digital printing process
Step 1: Put the material to be printed through specialized treatment water. This step helps the color become more beautiful and standard
Step 2: Dry with a heat press
Step 3: Put the shirt on the printing table, stretch it and start printing with a digital machine
Step 4: Heat press a second time to let the ink dry completely
3.2 – Advantages
– Highly applicable, can print on most different materials and colors.
– Just need a single image file, no need to handle complex designs or colors. Can print from simple to complex images.
– Good processing speed, high efficiency.
– Colors and prints are beautiful and durable.
– Does not harden/affect the shirt fabric because the printing ink absorbs very quickly.
3.3 – Disadvantages
- Regular maintenance of clothing printing machines is required
- Printed colors are not as natural as silk printing. Sometimes there is a slight difference between the printed color displayed on the device and the actual color
- Printing costs are high, both in terms of equipment and finished products
Decal printing technology
This printing technology, also known as Vinyl printing, is considered a new technology today.
Although Vinyl printing is not as widely applied as silk printing, this technique still maintains its popularity.
4.1- Decal printing process
- Step 1: Prepare the print template
- Step 2: Cut the Decal, the machine will automatically cut the template for the printed decal sheet
- Step 3: Peel off excess, unnecessary decal
- Step 4: Use a heat press machine to print the sample Decal on the fabric
4.2 – Advantages of Decal printing technology
- Can print on dark fabrics, including black
- Printed colors are bright, sharp and do not fade during use
4.3 – Disadvantages of Decal printing technology
- Printed images that are too small will not be printable
- Easily peels off if the shirt is not stored properly or the printing technique is not highly accurate
- Because the decal layer is quite thick, the printed position may be a bit stiff
- Printing costs are high and production times are long, requiring meticulousness and depending on the complexity of the print
- Direct inkjet printing technology
It can be said that direct inkjet printing is a fairly new technology but is quite popular. As its name suggests, the technology prints directly on the surface of the material, without going through an intermediary.
5.1- Direct inkjet printing process
- Step 1: Prepare the print sample and design the sample
- Step 2: Insert the location of the shirt to be printed so that the machine can spray ink. Directly according to preset settings
5.2 – Advantages of direct inkjet printing technology
- The printed surface is beautiful, naturally thin and smooth
- Unlimited colors, even complex design versions can be made
- The printing process is quick and doesn’t take much time
- Ink color is super durable
5.3 – Disadvantages of direct inkjet printing technology
- The machinery investment costs are high and require frequent maintenance
- Mainly printed on cotton, other materials are not as effective or need to invest in additional costs
- The finished product has a higher price
Combined t-shirt printing method
This printing method is a combination of screen printing and digital printing. This method will overcome the limitations of both printing technologies: one side has dexterity, meticulousness, and meticulousness, and the other side works accurately, highly efficiently, and quickly.